How to Reduce Mildew and Mold Growth in Your Basement
Mold and mildew are very similar, if not the same thing. Mildew is certain types of molds or fungus, while mold encompasses all species of fungi. However, mold is never wanted in any part of the house, but it can be found in many basements, which is not very pleasant.
What Is Mold?
Mold is a type of fungus that is a bunch of tiny organisms that spread out spores that reproduce when it’s wet. Many of these spores can attach to clothing, hair, walls, and more.
Why Does Mold Grow in Basements?
If someone wanted to grow mold, they would need to have a space between 60- and 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Also, they would need a little moisture, but once this has been combined, mold will have no problem growing.
You Found Mold in Your Basement, How Do You Make It Disappear?
When someone finds mold in their basement, they can usually clean it with soap, water, and bleach. They can scrub it away with a sponge with a bit of elbow grease. However, if you have an aggressive mold, you will need to seek help from a professional.
This is because the mold can get underneath the wall and spread across the house through the timber. Once the mold has infiltrated the timber, you will have difficulty getting rid of it.
What Are Some Ways You Can Reduce the Likelihood of Getting Mold in Your Basement?
There are many things that people can do to reduce the likelihood of them getting mold in their basements. Below are some of the best suggestions when it comes to mold prevention tactics:
- Every house owner should keep an eye out for any condensation on their windows and walls. You will want to stop any forming of condensation on cool surfaces, so add some insulation to bring some warmth into the room.
- If there is a leak, you must clean the area fast and begin to ventilate it properly until it is completely dry. Also, never paint over any wet areas.
- When there is a leak, the ceiling tiles, insulation, carpet, drywall, and furniture may get wet. However, you will need to either replace them or get them professionally cleaned to keep the mold away.
- Some basements will become humid during certain times of the year. You should use a dehumidifier or your air conditioner to collect any moisture floating in the air. Mold will not grow if the humidity levels are below 60%.
- All of the air ventilation systems should be checked regularly and cleaned. Many molds can grow in these systems and then spread throughout a house, so keeping on top of this will help with mold prevention.
Mold can be a pesky problem if not looked after properly, which is why people will stop at nothing to get rid of it. If you notice mold in your basement, you should clean it immediately before it spreads or hire a professional remediation contractor. However, if you are too late, call a professional to come in and get rid of it. Otherwise, practice the above tips on reducing mold in your basement so that you won’t have any uninvited spores.